The Camp Counselor is a 9 day seasonal position, beginning Friday June 18 and ending June 26, 2021.
Counselors are team players responsible for the care and guidance of campers and the implementation of policies and procedures specific to our camp community.
Essential Job Functions:
Read and understood camp policies and operations located in the Staff Handbook prior to staff orientation.
Assistance in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in living units, activities and throughout camp.
- By applying basic youth development principles through communication, relationship development and youth empowerment.
- By assuring that campers are properly supervised at all times.
- By leading and assisting with the teaching of activities and programs while actively participating in all program areas as assigned.
- By encouraging success for each camper.
Maintenance of high standards of daily personal health and safety.
- By following and implementing all safety and security rules and procedures.
- By being alert to camper’s health problems and alerting the camp health manager and/or resident camp director when appropriate.
- By ensuring that campers receive their medications as directed by health care manager.
- By ensuring proper use, care, and maintenance of camp equipment and reporting problems promptly to camp director.
Model good behavior and positive attitude for campers and staff by setting a good example with camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
Other Job Duties:
Contribute to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested.
Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events and other all-camp activities and functions.
- Must be 19 years of age with youth leadership/development experience.
- Must be physically able to complete all tasks agreed upon with the leadership team.
- Must be willing to interact with teen and pre-teen girls in a positive manner.
- Must demonstrate knowledge and/or skill in designated camp programming.
- Must be able to communicate and work with individuals as well as small groups.
- Must observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Must be able to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
- Must respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid and assist campers in emergencies (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Some physical requirements of the Counselor position could be endurance including prolonged standing, some bending, hiking, and stretching; requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate simple outdoor equipment and camp activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs; willing to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities; and with daily exposure to the sun, heat, and animals such as bugs, etc.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR CAMP COUNSELORS
Applications are accepted until March 15, 2021 and interviews will be scheduled as soon as possible.
June 18 & 19 - Staff orientation in Halsey
Sunday June 20 - Campers arrive
Saturday June 26 - Campers depart and post camp assessments and reflection completed.